All That Glitters

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Dog or Die

As many of you know, for the last few years I have been dead-set on getting a dog. This hasn't really changed, but my perspective has.

I found the perfect puppy for me on Craigslist a couple of days ago, so I have been espically persistant (annoying) and persuasive (driving mom and dad crazy to the point where they are about to suggest that I adopt two dogs, and a few more cats while I'm at it) lately.

Mom and I had a conversation tonight (her talking and feeling guilty, me feeling guilty and crying) about getting a dog. She raised the blunt point that she just doesn't want an animal in her house, but she would talk to dad about it because she just wants me to be happy. Guilt level: sky-rocketing. This made me really question my decision.

I have always had this thought in my head that mom and dad are wrong because they have preconceived notions about dogs, which is true, but I have also had these notions that  my dog will not be like that. This could be true, or it could be very false. If false, I will just end up looking dumb in front of everyone.

So now I am at this problem: Do I want a dog bad enough to make mom go against her better judgement, or should I just shut up and take one for the team ('the team' being all the animal haters in my family... wait... that is everyone.)? At this current moment, I am laying awake in bed thinking about this. I dont want to make my parents unhappy, but they dont want me to be unhappy. Neither of us can really win in this situation.

I would be overjoyed if they told me I could get one, but the feeling wouldn't come without hesitation. As the song by The Fray goes:

"Happiness damn near destroys you, breaks your faith to pieces on the floor.."

This is what is happening now. Happiness is destroying me. I am so excited at the possibility to finally get a dog, but am overrun with guilt because I am the only one that is going to benefit from the situation.

Anyway, I will stop venting and making a huge deal about something as little as pet ownership. I just needed to get some feelings out! Anyway, I would appreciate any non-ignorant comments on your view on the matter...





2 comments:

  1. I am a dog lover. Never pass on a free puppy or a cute face in the window. BUT I will say without hesitation that puppies are the DEVIL! Even the BEST dogs start out as messy, messy puppies. Even the best kennel and the most attentive mama will result in poo on the floor. But. It only lasts a little while, and you COULD confine puppy to the laundry room/bathroom or somewhere until he is perfectly behaved. :) Good luck. I know the feeling of wanting one sooooooo bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would just say take one for the team. Knowing you, you will get a dog and then 2 months later it will be neglected just like every other animal of yours and you will be onto something else you want and the dog will be old news. I can already see now, the compromise of you and mom could possibly happen, but then if a dog is introduced new problems and crazy nights of throwing fits and crying will happen because of a stupid dog. And like I always said, if there is a dog in the house, chances are I wont be coming home very often anymore. HATE THEM

    ReplyDelete