All That Glitters

Friday, June 19, 2015

The Dew Man

Okay, so it's apparently been almost 2 years since I've blogged. You're welcome. I'm seriously going to try and start again.

It’s weird how one fleeting little thought can change your whole mood for the night, but more on that later. I’m warning you now: This blog post will have strong horse content. Those of you that are not interested in the animals may think I’m crazy, if you already don’t, which I’m sure most of you do.
I worked at my job at an insurance company until 5:00 today. I was staring down the barrel of a week of time off for staycation. I was elated when the clock finally rolled around to five, and I got out of there. My new apartment is a whopping 3 blocks of backroads away from my work, so by 5:05 I was home and dragging the mattress off my bed into the living room. I had been dreaming of lying in there and watching TV, eating junk food, and not even feeling guilty. I love living so close to work, but my current horse, Whiskey, moved to Warsaw, and it has been surprisingly tough on me not getting to see him every day like before. 
Speaking of horses, coming up on my week off is fun night for the rodeo. It is always something I look forward to, since it is something I always get to do with my bff Sam and other girls that share my passion for horses. It is also a good time to get the horse warmed up to being at an event. Sam had mentioned a couple of weeks ago that she wasn’t sure if she would be there, as her horse had some stuff going on, and she wasn’t sure if she had to work. I texted her today to see if there were any developments, and she still hadn’t decided.
I got into bed, and was milling over ways I could convince her to come, and the mood-changing thought popped into my head... “I’ll just offer to bring Dewey and she can ride him.” For anyone who didn’t know, Dewey passed away a few months ago. I was not necessarily expecting it at that time, but he was not in good shape, and I knew it was time for him to go when he went down and couldn’t get back up. I got to say goodbye to my poor old guy, but it was very hard for me to do. At first, when the thought came, I laughed it off in my head a little. How could I forget something that I have literally thought about every day since he left me?
I texted Sam to tell her that I was delusional, and all of a sudden it was like someone turned the faucet on. I haven’t cried for him since a few days after he passed. I was surprisingly at peace with his passing, and while it was hard, I was able to let go comfortably after a few days. It was almost a relief when I lost him, as I worried about him daily. In his old age he had gotten skinny and ratty. He had declined pretty quickly. So when the tears came rolling down my face, it caught me off guard. What had made me cry? As I mentioned, I look at his picture every day at work, and think of him, but hadn’t felt like this since when he actually passed.
The more I thought about it, the more upset I got. It wasn’t just ridiculous that I thought Sam riding him was an option because he is, you know, not alive, but because he was 27 and in horrible shape. He wouldn’t have made it 5 minutes at fun night. One thing led to another and next thing I know I am not just crying a little, but hysterically crying laying in my bed. I was thinking of all of the negative things: how bad he looked, how I should have done more to help him, how I wasn’t able to be there when he was put down, and how I couldn’t even tell you when the last ride I ever got to take on him was. I realized that all this time, I have been dwelling on the bad of Dewey’s passing, and have forgotten all the good.
Dewey and I were never that harmonious teenage girl and her horse that would do anything for her that you see in the movies. Not even close. We were the poster children for a love/hate relationship. I loved him more than I could ever put into words, but his day to day shenanigans were enough to make me hate him. He pretty much just hated me all the time unless I was bringing him food, and even then he was skeptical. When I first got him, he was an angel for about 2 weeks, and then the real Dewey came out. After about a year, we finally worked through (most of) our differences, and began to get along (this is a relative term). He still tested me, and I still got mad at him, but we mostly had each other figured out. He didn’t do things because I asked him to, he did them because he knew it was easier than fighting with me, because I would eventually win.
In our trials, Dewey taught me more than any horse ever could, and tonight I challenged myself to turn my sad tears into happy ones, and start remembering him in the times that he made me happy, instead of just remembering how horrible he looked and probably felt.
I loved bringing him to dad’s house and riding in the fields around there. We would race cars on the highway, and he always impressed me with his creek crossing skills. He was not a trail horse, by any means, but we usually got along when we were in the big fields together.
I loved riding him with Halleigh. We went to the arena one time, and she was having trouble getting her horse to cooperate, and Dewey took off in the prettiest, smoothest little collected canter that he ever did in his whole life probably, and Halleigh asked me how I did that. I didn’t know. It was all him. We had many eventful rides, with lots of laughs and fun.
I loved the winter I decided I was going to teach myself to canter bareback. I didn’t fall off once (though I almost did about 155 times). He would get to trotting so fast that the cold air would make my eyes water, and then I couldn’t see, so we would have to stop. I’ll never forget the first time I got him to break into a canter, and I stuck with him and stayed on.
I loved how I gave riding lessons on him, and he was a totally different horse with a kid on his back than he was with me. He always took such care of any kids I ever let on him. It’s funny how horses know when they are carrying precious cargo.
I loved how he was deathly afraid of flags the whole time I had him, and one summer night I decided I was going to change that. It took a little time, but within a half hour I was riding him and carrying a flag.
I could go on with this trend for hours, but I won’t here. He was such an influence on my life, and I don’t know what I would have done without him. Now I have Whiskey, and am in the works of getting another mare that will be a project, but I’m crossing my fingers that she will work out for me. I’ve learned that every horse you get on can teach you something different, and Dewey taught me a lot more lessons than any others.
I can only hope that I will see my old guy again one day. I’m sure if animals do get to heaven, he is fat, slick, grazing to his heart’s content, and dreading the day I show up again. Until then I will do my best to hold onto the happy memories, and try to let go of the bad ones about him. I have had Whiskey over a year, but feel like we are still getting to know each other, and I am excited to see the things he will teach me. Maybe in the future I can document everything he has done for me too, just like this.
Thanks for sticking with me, I know it’s probably hard to listed to my rambling about horses.


No comments:

Post a Comment